After the first two days of a 9 day gun season deer camp several members abandon the wait and see approach and still hunt or conduct drives. Today, some of us went on a stand early then met up with others to organize some drives. The second drive was a place where we have been waiting for the right wind direction. I was up to bat as a stander and along with a couple other hunters we hiked to our positions with the wind in our face.

I set up on the edge of a fallow field facing the woods that the drivers will push. Wind blowing right to left. Silence and anticipation is always a thrill for me. Soon I heard Blue Jays then a faint cracking of brush. Two doe and a button buck emerged at the edge of the woods. My doe tag was already filled and I was after a mature buck so I lowered the rifle. They loped of to the left and out of sight. The crack of a rifle rang out twice from the direction of the drivers. A minute or two later, two doe popped out of the woods with a buck bringing up the rear. They loped into the wind and I put the 99-A on the buck and waited until he was beyond the direction of the drivers and sent a 87 Speer HotCor at him. He did not seem to react and was gone before I could send another HotCor.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

When the drivers showed up I went looking for some evidence of a hit. Found it.
He didn't go far, about 70 paces. As he lay, heart shot.

This buck tried to double back thru the drive.

Last edited by roundoak; 11/27/20.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime