Originally Posted by TheKid
I’ll use a 3” or so saw blade to cut a couple ribs off and make a large enough opening to get the heart out when doing elk gutless. Otherwise I have no need for a saw or hatchet.

I’m curious as to why guys split the pelvis? I don’t even bother with the whole cutting around the butthole bit anymore.

Of course I’m always ready to learn and all ears.

A serious response. We all don't do things the same way. Some circumstances necessitate different applications.

I don't have to dress deer out in the field and I don't have to pack meat out of the field.
I used 3 Wheelers for retrieval for several years then I didn't even need a wheeler. Now I 'only' use a 4 wheeler to haul or drag a deer to my truck.

Splitting the pelvis ?

Regardless of fully gutting or gutless it's simpler for me to bring the Ham inside and butcher.
When possible, I much prefer fully gutting - RINSING - and leave hanging with hide ON. Temp dictates if/when I can do that.
Then I remove the usual parts and process.

'Sometimes' I give a whole deer to elder friends who don't hunt much and they butcher & process. When I do that I gut and rinse thoroughly and THEY take the deer and process how they want. So I don't split the pelvis.

MOST of the time our Wx is too warm to leave hanging, aka higher than 50* for too many hours.
Then I do gutless and split the pelvis and put hams , shoulders, T L & backstrap on ICE.

Kid, I 'm not being smart or sarcastic at all.

Some have the idea that 'their' way is the only OR best way.
No one is inferior because they do things in a different way. Conversely no one is 'better' or smarter because they do it
'their' way.

I learned of 'gutless' only after joining the 'fire' in 2010. I tried it and I like it better WHEN I'm not hanging meat.
Seems to me that gutless would be the preferred way for those who pack meat out of the field. In that case IMO it's
the hunters choice whether to debone or split the pelvis and pack.

I hope that I have answered your ?? in a way that makes sense to you. I re read this several Xs and "I" understand it.
LOL

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 11/29/20.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!