I’m green with envy of all of you who hunt the Mecca of the Midwest for Ring Necks.

While Oregon has a lot to offer for hunting and fishing enjoyment. Pheasants aren’t one of them.

I’m slumming away on a pay per bird hunt because our pheasant numbers have been low for many years and the once good places to hunt upland birds are either no trespass or private hunt clubs.

No tears here...I found a place two hours away from my house that has 4 separate properties with a combined total of 560 acres to hunt pheasants.

The owners only allow two groups to hunt per property, per day, with a max of 6 hunters on each property. Today we had 120 acres of corn, wheat, thickets and hills to hunt with 2 groups of 2 hunters. Each group hunts separately.

My pard and I rented a GSP named Wendy to assist in locating birds. The birds are planted early in the AM with a lot of leftovers from missed shots from past hunt days. Plenty of birds were put up. Both hens and roosters.

The roosters and hens ran, cackled, flew, and held tight in the thickest of cover. It felt like the hunts I did as a kid when pheasant hunting was good on the East side of the State.

Size of the birds were pretty good weight wise. Tail feathers were in the 9” to 13” range. I don’t know how fast tail feathers grow or if these birds were juvies or 2nd year birds. I just don’t know.

Pard and I took our 5 birds in a little over two hours after we both shook off the gun rust on a bird each.

It was a lot of fun...But, it still left a lingering feeling in my heart that native birds are just different and better.

My first time using this Benelli M2 20 gauge. Shimmed it correctly to fit me. Excellent point-ability, light as a feather and it ran flawlessly.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”