Originally Posted by Boomer454
About three or four years ago my dad bought a used .223 barrel for his Blaser R93 bolt action rifle. The gun had originally been a .30-06 but it had a very unpleasant kick.
Anyways, from the get-go we seemed to have problems with the accuracy of the thing. It didn't like the 69gr Remington match ammo, neither did it like the 55gr Norma Oryx we tried. The 40gr Vmax finally delivered acceptable accuracy.
I shot a fox at 50yds and a crow at 150yds with it but when shooting paper it always shoots 2 MOA (with fliers) or worse. I'd say out of 5 shots 3 or 4 are fine, but the rest are fliers.
Since I don't think there's a free floating issue - a sheet of paper slides between stock and barrel pretty well - and there is no visible damage to the crown I suspect a shot out bore.

Has anyone here got input on this issue?

Your post is not clear to me so I am trying to sort out what you are saying.
You said that "The 40 gr V-Max delivered acceptable accuracy" but you do not say what that accuracy was.
You then said that "it always shoots 2 MOA (with fliers) or worse".

Are you speaking of the 69 gr Rem Match ammo and 55 gr Norma Oryx when you say it always shoots 2 MOA with those two but gives acceptable (?) accuracy with the 40 gr V-Max or that the V-Max is also only shooting 2 MOA.

The reason for asking is that if the V-Max is giving acceptable accuracy then I am thinking that with the 69 gr bullet your barrel may have too slow of a twist to stabilize it. As far as the 55 gr Norma - perhaps your rifle just doesn't like it.

Check your twist rate and if it is 1-14 or 1-12 then try some 50 gr bullets and see if they give acceptable accuracy.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.