I've been a woods hunter for 99% of my hunting life here in PA. Never been out west. Never owned a field to hunt in, only dabbling a bit here and there in neighboring fields shooting ground hogs at just shy of 200 yards a couple times in my life. (Although I did shoot a groundhog once, 66 yards with my S&W Model 17 shooting DA) My longest shot on a whitetail to date is 124 yards in the woods.

I decided to get and try something different. Not wanted to break the bank, I found a Sauer 100 XT 270 Win on the bargain rack after reading some good reviews. I topped it off with a Leupold VX-3i LRP Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 4.5-14x 50mm Side Focus First Focal TMR Reticle. This too is the most I've ever payed for a scope in relation to the cost of the rifle. In my normal stand on 1st day, shot a nice 8pt at a whopping 50 yards. But I'm scheduled to be in my neighbors field stand this Thursday morning for doe. Will not take a shot under 250.

I joined a local club that has a 300 yard + range with steel targets at varying distances earlier in the year (they are in a fight with the local township so the steel at 600 has been temporarily pulled) but did not have any time to get out there until yesterday. My best results at 100 yards have been with 150 grain Nosler Accubond LR over 61 grains of RL26.

Finally got on that range yesterday. I had so much fun banging steel - I felt like a kid again! I had no problem from the bench and off my knees sitting on the ground, routinely hitting 8 inch steel out to 265 yards. BUT - I learned quickly - from 300 yards and out - that separates the men from the boys! A gun that shoots into an inch at 100 does not automatically guarantee 3 inch groups at 300. I think I've been bit by my new bug! I now get why this is the biggest growth segment in shooting at the moment.

Now I've got more reloading to do.............................

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by six.