I have used my .270 to about 400 yards on whitetails.. When I was a kid in the 50s and 60s, local rifle men were already in to long range stuff.. They killed deer up to about 800 yards, so this is nothing new, but we have better optics, rifles and ammo now.. To me the 6.5 cm is one over rated cartridge... It is easy to shoot and hit things with if you have time to dial.. Other calibers will let you shoot to 500 yards with out alot of hold over some, but less than 2ft. The last years I did any hunting in Pa.. I had a spot like Kentucky, and old strip mine that offer shots to 500 and some farther.. Hunting alone, 500 was my limit due to no spotter.. My final rifle for this work was a fairly heavy .300 wm, with a 6.5 -20 Leupold with hash marks as well as turrets, but in shooting whitetails in that situation, there was no time to use turrets.. So I relied on the hash marks and a fast load..
As pointed out earlier, a solid rest is imperative.. I had a large box that was perfect for shooting while standing.. I sand bagged the long range rifle in for the general direction I wanted to shoot.. I kept a lighter traditional deer rifle there also incase a buck crossed from behind and gave me a 100 yard shot.. After doing this, sitting on a stand in the timber was just too boring. In the open country I could see deer, people, birds, all kinds of stuff one couldn't see in the timber.. A fun way to hunt..

Molon Labe