If you're looking for something to test your hunting shooting skills, take look at the new.....

https://nrlhunter.org

The basics:

1. Power Factor; bullet weight x bullet velocity = 380,000 or more with a ceiling velocity of 3275 fps. Which means no 22 nor 6mm calibers will meet the requirements. A few 25 cals. A 6.5mm 140 gr bullet will need to hit 2714 fps to qualify.

2. Three/3 classifications: Factory, 12 lb max. Only adaptation will be adjustment of factory trigger. No changing barrels or triggers. Threaded muzzle for muzzle break or suppressor is fine as long as it came threaded from the factory. Any optic.

Open Light, 12 lb max. Sky's the limit, as long as it's under 12 lbs which includes sling, bipod, any electronics attached to the rifle.

Open Heavy, 16 lb max. Same as Open Light.

Ammo and detach magazine weight is NOT included in weight of rifle.

Their will be additional Women's and Young Gun group categories.

3. Target engagement will be from 100 to 1000 yds with the average in the 450 yd range. You will be kept back a distance (approx 20-30 yds) from the COF so you won't have any idea what to expect (just like in hunting). The RO ask if you're ready. All your gear will be in your pack, on your back, rifle slung. Bino's can be in hand. At the starting beep/buzzer you have 4 minutes and the RO will then call you forward; don't doddle! A very quick description of the COF from the RO explaining the left/right limits of your shooting position/s and the basic direction of target engagement. You will need to locate, range, dope and engage the target/s. Their might be 1 target (which will be animal vital size and will have a 2' x 2' orange placard with 10' of the target) and 5 positions to shoot from (each has to be 1 arms length apart) or maybe 5 targets and 1 position .....or a combination in-between. First round hit = 2 pts. If you miss, a 2nd round may be fired for 1 pt, if you hit it. Once you hit the 1st round or miss the 2nd, move on to the next target or position. A match consists of a minimum of 12 COF. Which means a minimum of 60 rds up to 120 rds. The match directors may have more than 12 COF.

A minimum of 50 competitors is required to hold a match. Their are 9 scheduled matches in 2020 from Calif to New Hampshire. February to July with the championship in Grand Junction, CO, held in August. One needs to qualify to attend the championship.

It is not required to be an NRL Hunter member to compete but if you want to attend the championship (if you qualify) you will need to be a member and if you want to walk the prize table, you will need to be a member. Membership can be attained up to 7 days after a match.

Me, personally, I might use my Open Light 6.5x47, which i've hunted deer and elk with for the past 10 yrs or maybe tweek my heavy 6.5x47 to make Open Heavy or really put it on a diet to see if I can make Open Light. I might even use my new 300 WM which will make Open Light. The matches I intend to attend are in Hammet, ID (May) and Price, UT (July). Hopefully, i'll qualify for the championship.

Check it out!

Alan