Broken record here - we once again hunted our favorite place on earth (not far from Wichita).

We arrived four days before the season to try to get a handle on things, maybe hang some sets etc.
Twas quite a contrast to a year ago when lack of rain meant very little in the way of crops. This year, there was seemingly wheat and some picked soybeans everywhere on and around the ranch.

We spent the bulk of mornings/afternoons glassing from vantage points and via GMC while installing any blinds/ladders midday depending on wind directions.

One buck was sighted on our first morning that got us reasonably excited - a mile from the ranch but headed the right way. Numerous bucks were sighted on a river bottom wheat field over the next few days so we'd begun to formulate a game plan for the opener - I'd hunt the ground closest to where saw the good buck the first day and dad would guard the river bottom wheat field.

About an hour in, I had a cool encounter with a young buck that with all that pasture, decided to nearly walk over my boots. I knew he was going to bust me so I figured I'd capture some video:

Dad would see nearly continuous all-day activity (due to an impending storm) and passed on this stud of a 3.5 y/o 8pt a couple of different times.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

TBC

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D