Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I agree. Why they think that is appealing, is beyond anyones guess. As for your question, You can get weaver mounts in gloss finish. However, they are aluminum. Not that those are bad, I run them on my m1917's. Are you looking for mounts for a standard pre 64 or H&H? If standard, I'd go with the DD's and be done with it. You have much more options that work well on the standard actions vs. the H&H receivers: The main reason I started this thread. For those that mention the S&K and Conetrols. They hang over the ejection/loading port on the H&H receiver and to be honest, look like dog chidt..

It's actually for a post-'64 .338 Win Mag... but as I understand it, the hole spacing is the same as for pre-'64s except for the .300/.375 H&H versions. (Corrections welcome.)

The Weaver/Picattiny style is easier for my purposes, so I can easily switch scopes OR use a reflex (red dot) sight which needs W/P-style mount base. Looks like the Talley system I mentioned above could work for scope easily enough, but doesn't solve the red dot part. I may just bite the bullet and whack off part of the Warne front base like you did, polish and reblue, call it good. Or I may just bag the red dot part of the plan and switch to Talley's. If nothing else better comes up...

-Chris