More 35 Remington stuff-

With the 200 grain Sierra SP load finished, I turned my attention to a varmint load. I would normally have ordered a box of 357/180 grain Hornady XTP but like everything else, they are unavailable. I did have twenty 357/140 grain on hand and decided to try those. I didn’t expect them to shoot anywhere near the sights , but I did want to find out if the Marlin would group with them. Lacking 35 Remington data for 140 grain bullets, I used the start load for 180s- 35.0 grains of H4895.

I also stumbled onto some low velocity cast bullet data, using pistol powders, in various centerfire rifles.
http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

One of the 180 grain 35 Remington loads listed is 7.0 grains of Winchester 231 for around 1050 fps. I just happen to keep an old Lee powder measure set for that load, because it works great in 44-45 caliber revolvers. I also still had 50 of the Hunter Supply 180 grain 357 bullets and I figure they aren’t going to shoot any worse over 231 and if it’s accurate enough for junk critters at 20 paces, that’ll do.

The 140 grain XTP load ran 1846 fps and put three shots in two inches at 100 yards, maybe three inches low. When XTPs are available again, I’ll be gassing some up to 2300 fps for varmint bombs.

The Hunters Supply 190 grain/W231 load did 1139 fps and put three shots in three inches at 100 yards- but low. It does shoot to the sights to about 35 yards and will overlap bullet holes at that distance. It’ll make a good low noise pest and plinking load.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ