Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Originally Posted by MILES58
The amount of brass missing, the way the brass is melted/blown back, the undamaged barrel all indicate that the bullet is probably still in the throat or first couple of inches of rifling. That barrel is telling me that the bullet didn't move very far before it took the receiver apart relieving pressure.

Does not look like a case full of bullseye or some such.

Does look like a wrong diameter bullet in the case and maybe something like a 30 cal of some sort was touched off in the rifle. People playing with boxes of ammo in the store have been the cause of stuff like this before.

Were it me I would find out if the shooter had other 30 cal ammo in his possession that would chamber in a 7 mag before I spent much money on an attorney, because when that brass is recovered out of the chamber, there is in my mind a very high probability it will not be 7 mag brass. I have seen an "experienced shooter" try to fire 308 win ammo in a 270 before

Good analysis. The bullet was able to squeeze just past the free bore area and then got “stuck” when it made contact with the rifling.

Yeah... or some dick in the store may have swapped a couple of cartridges between boxes of different types of ammo. I see a spent case in one of the pics but I'm guessing that wasn't the problematic cartridge. Recovering the problematic case, if still around, may shed a lot of light.