Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Finally got out to try a couple load variations. Rifle is a LH PO Ackley Mauser rebarreled to 7x57 by Jim Kobe. NECG banded front sight. Mix-n-Match Lyman 48 rear sight with target knobs. All I am looking for is a pedestrian load for woods walking, close range deer hunting, off hand target practice. Tried 4 combinations: I4350 - 42 grains and H1000 45 grains. Both powders COAL at 3.000" and at 3.100". Somewhere around 3.150" was touching the lands. For my 63 year old eyes, the I4350 was slightly better than the H1000 for both COAL's. The 3.100" was the better COAL for both powders. So, will load up the rest of the new PRVI brass with 42grs of I4350 @ 3.100" COAL.

May tinker more in the future. However, this load will get me started. Appreciate everyone's input and recommendations. Thank you !

I expect we'll be seeing pics of said rifle resting on the still-warm carcass of a whitetail. wink

FC

Still dialing in the rifle, for me. Swapped the front sight to a lower bead back in October. Did not get it re-zeroed before KY rifle deer season. Hopefully next year. grin