Originally Posted by xxclaro
I've got a couple friends here who have recently expressed an interest in hunting,and aquiring a proper firearm. Neither is rich, one is expecting his first child and the other just had his 4th, so neither has a bunch of extra money laying around. They have asked me for advice, but I'm a little out of the loop on current budget rifles. I know the Axis is generally accurate but have heard the triggers are awful,mag is [bleep], and ergonomically not very good. Then there's the 783, Winchesters XTR, Mossberg MVP and Ruger American. Keep in mind we are in the people's republic of Canada, so the prices are somewhat higher here. I would like to steer them to a cheaper Tikka or a Vanguard, but both of those are usually about $200 higher than the other mentioned offerings. What would you guide them towards?

I see that some posters are recommending rifles that are available in the US, with the border closures , the customs hassle, and you having to use an importer prices can get costly pretty quickly.

Given the current buying frenzy I would find a Ruger American or a Howa in the chambering the friend wants. The Ruger American and Howa sporters I have shot performed well enough for general hunting and they make good trade material if he wants to move up in the future, Both are reasonably priced, both have reputations for adequate accuracy. To me the Howa is a bit heavier and ill balanced but I think they may be a better built rifle than the Ruger American. If they handle them that should make the decision easier.

Good luck - drover

p.s. - if they can come up with the extra $200 the Tikka T3X is what they should be saving for.

Last edited by drover; 01/03/21.

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.