I've always only used FLS dies that I've adjusted so the case is a firm fit in the rifle (slight resistance when closing the bolt), so it's only sizing enough and not actually a complete FLS. I did this also with my M14 when I was alowed to have one. Obviously it doesn't want to be left too tight in a semi- auto, but I got it right. Case life has been good and they have ultimately died of neck cracks, or been pilfered by someone else.

I don't anneal any of my case necks because it seems like a pain in the backside, and case life has been good anyway. The only cases of mine that are subject to extra work hardening due to crimping are my 500NE but they still last really well. I never crimp anything else, even the 375H&H and 458WM - the projectiles stay put but then again the rifles are heavy so recoil seems to be below anything that might pull the projectiles out or pound them in (in the magazine), I know there is an arguement for crimping for uniformity but I've never really experienced it. I have a Lee crimp die (collet stylle) for the 458 that I had experimented with but found it uneccessary.

[I unscrew the firing pin/bolt shroud from my bolt guns when I try the cases when setting up the FLS die and always use a fresh fired case when trying rather than using the same case while making die adjustments in case that has an affect - start tight and then adjust down the die in small steps with a fresh case each time. The fired cases I start with have to be a tight fit of course and they generally are.]

Last edited by mauserand9mm; 01/05/21.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?