Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
I'm fond of the P-17 and the P-14. . I have three P-17s, two of them were BSA sporters conversions and the other a Eddystone sporter. . One of the BSA is still a 30-06, the other a 358Norma long neck. The Eddystone is a 308Norma. My P-14 is a Winchester.. It's my favourite range rifle. I have a Parker Hale rear sight, and a Boyd semi inlet I finished. They all have either a Timmey trigger or a Dayton-Traister , and coil spring ejector conversions .

The P-17 usage is the official Canadian government designation for the 30-06. It was used during the WW2 for troops in Canada. We bought 100,000 from the United States. My Eddystone was one of these. The BSAs ones were likely part of the Lend-Lease to Britain.

These rifles used nickel alloy steel like the pre war Winchester M54 and M70 .

Very nice. The BSA's should be nicely done sporters. BSA did some of the best work for sporterizing these old rifles, however they only did it for a very short time (49-51 I believe). Im also a believer in the Timney or Dayton Traister triggers and coil spring ejectors. Almost a required modification in my book. Also something guys dont know is you can use the pre 64 model 70's extractor in the m1917. I like using them because they look better and work great. One modification im on the fence about is cock on open vs. cock on close. I have both and they both work great. However, one thing that can be said about a properly tuned m1917 with cock on open conversion is they are smoother feeding than even the pre 64 model 70 that is known for being exceptional in that department.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA