Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
Originally Posted by Orion2000
At least Savage is still pitching. And not being carved up like the Christmas turkey, ala Remington. Did a quick Google search. For perspective, Vista sold Savage last year for 2x what they just paid for Remington.

A "low cost" Blaser was my first thought. IIRC, Blaser maybe had some issues with radial lockup on their original model 93 rifle? Hence, the newer and more rugged Blaser R8. Hopefully the Savage engineers took heed of that...

I researched this heavily before purchasing my Blaser R93 and it’s not true. The one incident of a blow up I found was in Europe and was determined independently to be a hand load exceeding somewhere > 130-140k psi (metallurgy tests).

There have been Win model 70 blowups and that of about every rifle ever made including the Mausers.

ETA: the R8’s action was beefed up to add the big “African cartridges.”

Not surprised that the blow up was a hand load. Also, not aware that the R8 was up-sized to accommodate African cartridges. Everything I have read previously, (admittedly on the internet), alluded to the R8 replacing the 93 due to strength issues.