I just finished the section of the new book on Brent Giestweidt's 99PE's. He has eight varying from serial number 1,084,1xx to 1,172,4xx. I reviewed his and Dave Trauth's PE's. Dave has seven with serial numbers varying from 1,084,4xx to 1,142,7xx. The variation in the engraving is incredible, not only between early and late rifles but also rifles with serial numbers that are close together. It's obvious that there were several engravers working on the PE's at any one time. The lower serial numbers are the better executed engraving.
Addressing the conifer versus deciduous tree thing. Some of the trees have the limbs turned up and others are turned down on the left side of the receiver. There is nothing there to indicate whether they are supposed to be conifer or deciduous. They all look like stylized conifers to me. Any input from the members here would be greatly appreciated.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]