Originally Posted by auk1124
Originally Posted by badwolf
I take the weights out of regular carbine buffers and tune the gas blocks to your loads. You want lightweight carriers not heavy. Taccom sells one but removing the weights works fine

+1

Adjustable gas block, light weight bcg, empty carbine buffer will run just fine in my experience as well. I think I'm running a Sprinco Yellow (reduced power) spring as well, if I remember right. All the gas tuning is done with the gas block, as badwolf says.

That can work, and I’ve done it that way myself, but it WILL result in carrier bounce which I’ve verified by slow motion video. I now prefer to stick with a standard carbine buffer for most lightweight carrier applications. Going the other way to a heavy buffer as some people recommend doesn’t make sense of course.

To the original question- yes you can make a 6-8 oz carrier run just fine and there is some benefit. You’ll just need to restrict the gas a little more than you would with a standard carrier. The gas block adjustment process is the same as normal.