Note: Regular seating - not crimping.

I've got some RCBS die sets with instructions that say to raise the ram all the way up with a primed & charged case, then screw the seating die down 'til it makes contact with the case mouth, and finally screw it out one full turn before securing the lock ring around the body die.

However, I was reading the instructions for the .223 RCBS set this am, and they claim, "... place the sized, primed, and powder-charged case in the Shell Holder and run it to the top of the press stroke. Then screw the Seater Die into the press until you feel it touch the mouth of the case. Back up the Die 1/8 of a turn (never more) and set the large lock ring."

The only difference I can see is that the .223 set has the knurled circular lock rings where the set screw pulls the ring tight around the die body, whereas the others have the hex lock rings with the brass set screws that press against the die threads.

I'm revisiting my entire reloading process to try to figure out where I'm introducing runout. I don't think its in the resizing part, since the neck rounout seems to be mostly .001 or less after this step. Could it be that by always screwing the seating die out a full turn, the bullets are being set cattywhompus into the necks?

What sayeth the Peanut Gallery?

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC