Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Originally Posted by TRexF16
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Put empty case in shell holder. Run ram all the way up. Screw die down until it makes contact with the case mouth. Back die off your desired amount. Set lock ring.

The OP's question IS, "what should his 'desired amount' be?" not how to set it.

Yup - that was my question.
FC

I'm still not seeing where that was answered either.

So I checked my RCBS dies, 5 sets total but one of which I don't have a rifle chambered for. None of them have a date stamp, three are marked on the top of the die and two are marked in the middle of the die body, including the one new set bought in December. The new set has the instruction sheet but only one of the used sets still had it in the box. The printing layout is different but both say to back the die out one full turn after contact. I also have a instructional DVD from RCBS that concurs. None of my sets are for .223 so I'll be following the instructions I have.

Edit to add; Forgot to mention this earlier but one set of my dies also has the knurled lock ring with the tightening screw as mentioned in the OP, whereas the rest have the standard hex nut lock ring with a set screw. I didn't get that set new so have no idea if the lock ring is original or a replacement.

Last edited by Bry; 01/17/21.