I
Originally Posted by buffybr
My Great Great Grandparents on my Dad's side were early settlers to Colorado and Kansas. In fact the town of Bennett, just east of Denver was named after my G G Grandfather, Hiram, who later became the first Territorial representative to Congress from Colorado, and served two terms there in the 1860s.

When our parents passed, my Sister and I inherited a lot of stuff from 4 generations of our family. My family have always been interested in the history of the West and the Indians here. My Sister and I now have over 50 Indian blankets, dozens of Indian pots of all sizes, and numerous beaded items. Here are a couple of items that I kept and have on display in my house.

These moccasins were given to my G G Grandfather Hiram in 1859 by the Ute Indian Chief Ouray. Hiram knew Ouray and one time when Hiram and his wife were camped outside of Denver, Ouray visited them. They gave Ouray a tin of biscuits, and Ouray took off his moccasins and gave them to my G G Grandparents. I put them in a frame and it is one of the family heirlooms that I proudly display in my house.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Another item that I proudly have displayed at home is this picture of Hiram and Kit Carson that was taken in 1868 when they were working on the treaty with the Ute Indians in western Colorado. Kit Carson is sitting on the left and my G G Grandfather, Hiram, is sitting on the right. All four of the men signed the edge of the picture.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Damn!! Now that is awesome buffybr! Wasn't that the last photo taken of Carson before his death?

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS