Originally Posted by Pappy348
Since you may carry your rifle in your hands, cradled in your arms, or maybe slung or in a backpack carrier, the notion that losing weight yourself is the solution for heavy-rifle syndrome is only true some of the time. You might lose a half-pound or so with a new stock, but a rifle built from the ground up as a lightweight is a better option, IMO. Doesn’t have to cost a fortune, maybe not even as much as a fancy light stock. Look at Mauser M18s and LW Tikkas for starters.

Thanks for the advice. When I hunted deer in the Black Hills this fall, I didn't use a sling at all. I just carried the rifle in my hands. It wasn't bad, but it was also much easier terrain than the Rocky Mountains of Wyoming.

I would be very hesitant to throw a lot of money after making this rifle lighter weight. I do like the rifle, though, and the idea of putting it in a nicer stock (nicer than the Hogue that it's in) that also makes it lighter sounds tempting. It was my first non-rimfire rifle so I think I'd like to keep it around.

The Mauser looks good - I handled a Sauer 100 at Cabela's and it seemed impressive, so I'm assuming the Mauser is as well. The Tikka Superlites at Sportsman's Warehouse seem like an obvious no-fuss choice if I decide to go that route.