Originally Posted by mcclure
After nearly ten years of marriage, the wife and I had our first kid about five months ago. We're in our early thirties. We waited a long time because we wanted to get financially secure and to be able to provide a stable life for our family. We worked hard and saved - we didn't live it up or party or anything. We thought we were being responsible. But now that we have our baby boy, all I can think is that we made a big mistake waiting so long.

The other thing I've noticed is that having a kid has changed my perspective on politics. It started happening while my wife was pregnant. I used to be very apathetic. I was fairly conservative but mostly didn't worry about politics.

Having a child has put the events of the last year in a much more intense focus. I used to view things like I was sort of removed from them, but now I can't avoid confronting the issues that are going to affect my son's future. I definitely regret my old way of looking at things, and I see it now for what it was - a self centered attitude.

Wait until you have grand kids and you are pondering their future. It puts it in a whole new perspective. My wife and I didn't have kids until we were in our 30's either. Congratulations on the little boy.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.