Originally Posted by southtexas
Just loaded some rounds. Adjusted the die as recommended. Upon seating the bullets, about 60% of the bullets were tight in the neck, the remaining bullets, while not entirely loose, could be moved sightly with finger pressure. My assumption is that the necks of the brass were not of uniform thickness. Is this a correct hypothesis? Probably would not be an issue if these cartridges were just going to the range, But using them in hunting conditions causes me pause.

Would appreciate the benefit of your experiences, thoughts, and suggestions. (If it matters: 257 Roberts, 100gr Hornady ILs, R-P brass.)

I am curious how many times your brass has been reloaded. Brass doesn't quite age (harden) at exactly the same rate. If it is the same lot of brass, with the same number of loads fired, tightening the die won't always work. It might be worsen if it is a mixed lot with different numbers of firings.

With collet dies and same lots of brass, you can set your die and not need to adjust it. If there are more than three loads on that brass, annealing is the way to go

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]