Originally Posted by Bighorn
I have two Ruger .480's, a 7.5" barreled Super Redhawk and a 4 5/8" Super Blackhawk Bisley. Both are great shooters. I shoot 410 gr. lead WFNGC bullets through both, and use IMR 4227 powder. These loads are easy to manage, very accurate, and far less expensive to shoot than factory ammo. I also have a Freedom Arms .454 Casull, but I much prefer the milder recoil of the Rugers over my FA revolver.

Last June, I went on a meat hunt for bison, and took the SRH loaded up with 425 gr. Cast Performance bullets, at a MV of 1200 fps. This is serious large big game medicine!
BTW-I see no reason whatsoever to use anything but heavy, cast lead bullets in .480. No hollowpoints needed here- with a bullet diameter of .475 inches, these bullets are already 'expanded' by default.

I have to agree. I never got the light bullet, big bore thing. It's like shooting a collar button. I guess velocity is everything to some shooters. A 480 with a 400 grain bullet, cast hard, at 1100-1200 fps is capable of some very heavy lifting.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.