Originally Posted by beretzs

My daughter was 10 when she took her first buck. Her brother was 8-9. As Kid says the laws for younger hunters usually require a parent to be next to their young hunter.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

I still think teaching and showing them young lights a small fire that’ll keep burning a bit as they grow up.

My boy is a Corporal in the Marine Corps now and my daughter is hammering through High School. They grow up quick, catch them while they are young or you might realize they are grown up before you know it!

Good dad!

I trained my sons early on with toy guns and BB and pellet guns about muzzle discipline and routinely engaging the safety after firing.

Here's my older son at age 9 shooting his .243. You can see at the end that, by that age, he instinctively engaged the safety immediately after firing. It was essentially muscle-memory by then.

https://i.imgur.com/He3mhUq.mp4

I really feel like I don't need the government to tell me that my well-trained young boys are precluded from lawful hunting just because there is some chance that someone else might be really stupid with their children. Government is supposed to pave and maintain roads, provide police and military, provide courts, and a few other things. Governmentn should not be given the mandate to prevent responsible young children from hunting with their responsible parents.