Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
Originally Posted by yukon254
Ruger, or Winchester. In my 30 plus years of guiding professionally I've seen more Remington's fail in the field than all other brands combined. Bomb proof certainly doesnt describe them.

Remingtons fail in the field? In what way exactly? I know their triggers suck.

I'll hazard a guess that for a guide in the Yukon, failure to fire would be the 1st and biggest 700 Headache. It's not really the fault of the rifle, it's the fault of the owner for not cleaning the gunk outta the bolt and trigger occasionally. That said, unless you have a 700 bolt disassembly tool, they're a pain in the rear to clean, so, nobody does it. The bolt stop can also get gunked-up and get hung up in the down position, causing the bolt to come out while cycling it. Not a big deal to folks who are familiar with the rifle but it'd unhinge some folks who aren't.

If I were a guide, I'd have a M700 bolt disassembly tool in camp. If your client can't give you an acceptable answer to "When was the last time you had your firing pin out and cleaned the bolt"?, then it gets done here and now.

I had a "That's never happened before" with a M70 floor plate accidental opening fall of '18. I'm sneaking on an elk I'd shot, dropped, and he popped back to his feet then laid back down. Rifle is on bi-pods and as I get to where I want to shoot again, he gets back on his feet and starts to run off again. I hit him a 2nd time, doesn't phase him. Go to run another round home only to realize that the floor plate had popped open and scattered my "belly-rounds" at my feet. Now he's not going very fast having 2 extra holes, and the country is open so it's no biggie to nab a cartridge @ my feet, run it home and the 3rd one anchored him for good. Which reminds me, I still need to use a file on the floor plate and get a little better engagement from the latch.........

Last edited by horse1; 01/21/21.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.