Originally Posted by TRexF16
Originally Posted by MtnHtr
Originally Posted by TRexF16

EDIT to add...But I don't want picture perfect retrieved bullets. I want exit holes, with carnage in their wake.

Cheers,
Rex

By
Then a Partition or Accubond is your huckleberry. It's that simple.

Indeed. Six of my ten ten kills in 2018-2020 were with ABs, Partitions, or Barnes TSX (2 elk, 2 pronghorn, 2 deer) but the other 4 were with BTs (3 deer, one pronghorn) and those BTs worked fine and penetrated fully, which was what I was trying to add to the OPs question and thread content. But it's only fair to also share the one that came apart on me back in 92, especially since it supports the idea that the BTs have been toughened up over the years.

Regards,
Rex

TRex and Shag,

You're making me work now, lols!

I've been using NBTs since they first came out in 1984 up until a few yrs ago when my state went lead free. Never seen a blow up on thin skinned deer or others with both early and late versions in 7mm and 30cal. As stated before Ioaded 180 NBTs for a friends 300 Weatherby and 7mm 150s for my Ruger 7RM in 1984. Both of us killed deer that year at close range. I've also used the 7mm 140 and 160 Partitions on deer, bear and elk so I can play big boy hunter too. Along with some mono experience.

This buck was taken at less than 50yds with early version 180BTs from the 300 Weatherby as it climbed the rock slide in the background. The guy on the left and the one who took this picture got cold and built a fire. A couple bucks trotted by (being pushed by others down below). My friend killed that buck as it was quartering away, he said it reared up and fell backwards dead - bang flop. No blow up.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

A buck I shot a few weeks later with early version 7mm 150 BT from a Ruger 7RM as it stood broadside at about 100yds. Again no sign of blowup:

A few recoveries from my 7-08s, the core is epoxied back in on the 140BT on the far left, all later versions:
A 139gr Hornady from one of my 7-08s recovered from a mule deer buck killed at about 450yds after it punched thru both shoulders

Still have some of the older versions of NBTs

Unlike monos, sometimes a fragment from a cup n core hits a nerve or artery and thats all it takes. And at long ranges it's helpful too.

And just for sake of conversation here's another photo of one of Darrell Holland's kills he sent me. He used a 70gr NBT out of his 6mm-06AI, the velocity is written on back of the pic. Now I don't recommend this bullet for deer sized game but it's obvious he placed it in the boiler room