I understand that land can get under someone's skin and feel like it's important. It was to my dad. Projecting (might even say burdening) that emotion onto your kids doesn't do them any favors. Let the kids find their own way in life. teach them values and how to work. If they value that particular piece of dirt like you do, hurray!

I've just seen too many young men taking on a piece of dirt more out of a sense of obligation trying to please dad or meeting family expectations. If their heart (and soul) isn't in it, it'll just cost them years of their life they could have spent pursuing their true calling in life.

In my family, my Dad offered me the farm, and I, less gracefully than I should have, declined. I'm still farming, just 6,000 miles away and a different crop, happy as a pig in slop. My brother got talked into taking it over, and it cost him 10 years of his life, his relationship with his father, and it contributed to his divorce. It left a permanent mark, and could have been avoided by just selling the place and letting the kids have what's left of the money when they passed.

Sic Semper Tyrannis