ManyMoons,

Thanks very much for the information.

The reason I asked is I've been on a number of safaris, including cull hunts that involved far more than the half-dozen or so animals taken on most, with far more hunters than just me--and far more bullets. The total is several hundred animals.

What I've found is that many hunters don't differentiate between the results of behind-the-shoulder shots, and shoulder-shots involving major bone--which tend to drop game quicker. Which is why I asked about shot placement, and the animals taken.

The big differences I have observed between Nosler Partitions and Swift A-Frames of the same diameter and weight are that Swifts make a bigger hole throughout the length of the wound channel, due to the bonded front core resulting in a wider mushroom, while Partitions make an initially bigger hole, due to the fragmentation of the front core, but the wound channel after that is smaller, due to the narrower mushroom. They both tend to penetrate about the same amount, even though Partitions generally lose more weight, due to the wider mushroom of the A-Frames. (The exception is larger-diameter Partitions, from about the 250-grain .338 up, which have the partition moved forward so they retain about as much weight as the A-Frames.)

There are a bunch of good bullets out there today, and am always looking for more info. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck