Yep, a lot of PHs recommend the A-Frame, and it's a great bullet.

But one of the reasons the A-Frame is so highly regarded is that it was the first larger-caliber "bonded" bullet that was reasonably available, expecially in calibers from .375 up.

One of the reasons the A-Frame was developed by Lee Reid in the 1980s is that Nosler quit making .375 caliber Partitions when they switched from lathe-turning to impact-extruding Partitions. The machinery Nosler had at the time couldn't extrude larger caliber bullets, and the .375 A-Frame filled the void--as well a providing good, bonded bullets in larger calibers--which is why Remington chose the 400-grain A-Frame for their "soft" when they introduced the .416 Remington Magnum. As a result, many PHs started to recommen A-Frames, partly because they were also superior to most traditional "softs" loaded in other .375 and up ammunition.

But as I mentioned earlier in this thread, there are bunch of really good bullets today. As an example, I first saw a bunch of PHs exposed to Barnes TSXs in 2007, on a month-long cull hunt in South Africa. They were all very impressed--but were also impressed by another new bullet, the Nosler Accubond.

My point is that PHs tend to recommend bullets they've seen work over a long period, on a lot of game--for obvious reasons. But that doesn't mean newer bullets don't work as well, whether monolithics or lead-cored.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck