I can't say anything about horses, but my llamas are overweight. We haven't had enough snow to cover anything. The problem with llamas is that you need to feed them grass hay. They'll get way too fat on alfalfa and it's too rich for their digestive systems. Something that's getting popular here for horses and llamas is teff hay. It's a semi-tropical annual grain that originated in the middle east. It's lower in sugars and a few other ingredients and is good for horses. They seem to love the stuff. It grows very well here in so. Idaho but probably wouldn't do well farther north. It has to be reseeded every year and they only get 2 cuttings but horse people say it's worth the effort. The market price is the same as other grass hay. The 1st cutting has the grain head on it and is harvested green. It regrows once with leaves and stems. Both cuttings are supposed to be very good feed. I just bought a ton for the llamas and they're eating it like candy.
The farmers who grow it usually have horses and grow it for themselves, selling the extra. I've bought it twice and that was the case both times. it probably isn't economical to grow if you don't feed it yourself.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.