Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by MtnHtr
Originally Posted by MtnHtr
I'll call McMillan tomorrow AM to confirm and report back. They sent me a spreadsheet with active inlets.

Just got off the phone with McMillan, I spoke with McMillan CS rep Josh Deards. The changes to options so far are fairly minimal, they are simply trimming the herd to rid the slow movers. From a production standpoint this makes sense, it simply takes too much time for machine setup to produce one stock for a single order.

Regarding the Winchester 70 stocks, at least 50% of their Win 70 models are still "active" for full inletting per Josh. That includes the RH Win Supergrade. Others like the Echols stocks require an order of 10 to produce flat top only. This makes sense since Mr. Echols prefers to do his own inletting anyways as did my former smith. The Win 70 Supergrade LH is flat top only since its less popular. So to state McMillan will not be offering full inletting for all of their Winchester 70 stocks is not correct or true.

McM's Winchester Featherweight is closed, the mold is being re-purposed. Just not enough demand. Others such as the pre 64 Win 70 are still available for pre 64 inletting and they might even expand options in the future for the pre 64 Win 70 crowd.

If you want to order a stock for a Win 70, I suggest you call McMillan to confirm before you order. Its that simple.

I did ask Josh about a stock for the Kimber 84 crowd. As was with Dick Davis there just is not enough demand for an aftermarket stock for the Kimber 84 to engineer and produce a mold. The bottom metal can be tricky to inlet for as well. In other words its not profitable and I certainly can understand that.

The changes McMillan's new owners are making are still being evaluated and won't be final for at least 8-10 weeks and will be posted on their website. The new owner's goal is to improve wait times down to 2-3 months. Some less popular stock models were dragging production times down considerably.

I confused about the Winchester FWT mold being repurposed. A mold makes a specific shape, so how do you repurpose it?

Not sure either exactly what the rep meant, guess if the dimensions are small enough they could remachine it?