Aalf & The Kid: You both may be correct. But to lighten a Varmint Rifle in caliber 6m/m Remington after purchasing that Rifle as it "was" seems self defeating in value wise and weight wise to me.
I look for ways to maintain weight on my heavy barrel Varminters not to lighten them - in my opinion/experience heavier Rifles are steadier under field conditions let alone at the range when testing for accuracy, competing etc.
But again you's guy's have probably hit upon the most likely of all the unlikely reasons that "hole" appeared in that stock?
Early last year at a "pawn shop" in Butte, Montana I bought a similar (no hole in the stock!) Remington 700 VLS in 6m/m Remington at a "give-away" cash price.
It is minty with very little sign of use/wear on its bolt face even. My 6m/m does have the dreaded "J' lock on it, for now!
I put a Leupold 6.5x20 variable scope on it, got into my stash of 6m/m Remington brass and fireformed 20 of them for serious load development - I just haven't had time to get back to this rig for more load development as yet.
That will be a good project for when this blizzard passes. Anyway the Rifle showed "promise" during fireforming and sight-in.
I think I will skip the "reverse thumbhole", "lightening hole" or what ever it is on my Rifle though!
Where'dja go Big Green?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy