Originally Posted by Anteloper
AlI I know for sure is the before & after;

Before, they could easily be squeezed together & after, they couldn’t.
The “couple inches out” of bedding did provide a platform which reduced the length available for either barrel or forearm to meet each other. Did eliminate some weird flyers.

Would you personally leave the PT-Flex in a Hunter stock?

It's hard to argue with empirical data.

I was never in favor of adding weight to the Hunter stock or doing anything to make the Hunter less than the Montana but I was in the minority. I wanted to dampen the stock if possible, but not necessarily at the expense of adding weight. That said, the dense rubber does reduce some flex in the stock under recoil, and when the vendor moved all of the rubber to the butt cavity a couple of years ago i.e. removed the "window" between the butt and wrist, it improved accuracy/precision by a few tenths at least. My explanation for this is that the wrist is already stiff due to wall thickness and geometry whereas the butt is nowhere near as stiff. So adding all 8oz of the rubber to the butt cavity increases the amount if support inside the butt and reduces stock flex under recoil. Personally I wouldn't remove the rubber because there are some advantages to it being there, and I'm not fanatical about the overall weight.

The reason why the vendor wanted to close up the window between the wrist and butt cavities is so that they could ultrasonically weld on the grip cap prior to adding the PT-FLEX 60. The grip cap on the Hunter was supposed to be a SHOT show thing only due to a very tight timeline but years later it's still there. I had nice domed shaped grip caps with logos modeled and quoted but never could get anyone to sign off on the upgrade.

Offering FFL 07 & SOT services in NW Montana
[email protected]