Originally Posted by kkahmann
What is the reasoning on calving in February? High weaning weights?

I calve in late February because March is often very busy farming time and I don’t want to be messing with cows while we’re busy in the field. I’ve been breeding my heifers for Feb 1 to give them a few extra weeks before breeding back. If we’re not busy farming in March, it’s usually because we’re wet. My uncle calves in late January and early February because he says he’s lost more calves in cool wet conditions than cold and dry. Our average high/ low temps for today are 47/25. I have an open sided barn to put a few in when temps are colder, but when the forecast is to be single digit highs for several days, windy and snow, with a low of -14, that barn is not going to save a calf. I guess it’s all in what you’re used to and prepared for. The Covid is certainly adding to my anxiety. I’m now 3 days into Covid symptoms. Still mild, but I’m afraid of making it worse by being out and working much in such cold weather. I was out and about for 2.5 hours this morning, but laying in bed now. Good luck to everyone else out working in this weather.