Of course, I prefer to burn oak rather than black walnut. Last summer I answered a Craigslist ad for free firewood. Never know what you will find on craigslist, half the ads are BS.
I had to drive 23 miles. But the guy had a big white oak on the ground. You could drive right up to it. I could bust up the 24 inch drums with two whacks of the Fiskars. Fresh cut and zero rot. What a score!

I got a truck load from that tree, and the next day went out there with my brother and we both got truck loads.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Here is my brother whacking that white oak with the Fiskars.
I sawed, he split.

We got three truckloads of pristine white oak. What a deal!
A month after that, I answered another craigslist ad, the guy claimed he had a bunch of oak and other wood. I drove 26 miles and this guy had nothing! He had cleared 3 acres, a year earlier, for his new house to be built upon, and he had the bulldozer pile up all those trees. All the construction guys had been cutting firewood from that 40 foot long pile for a year. All the good wood was gone, nothing left but stumps with dirty roots, and this guy knew it!

This guy was looking for a sucker to cut and haul trash wood, and he knew he needed to hire a pro to come over and load all that wood garbage up and haul it to the dump.

So it goes with craigslist, one ad is just great, and the next ad, you drive an hour and 20 minutes round trip and get nothing. And, at 50 cents a mile to operate a vehicle, I paid $26 to look at that bullsh*t artist's pile of junk wood. 26 bucks and a wasted hour and a half.

So, yes I would rather have oak but when I have some premium black walnut, just 1 mile from my house, I am going to get it while the getting is good.

And, I am going to split that truck load today and put it in the wood shed, and go back tomorrow and get another truck load.