Originally Posted by TheKid
Originally Posted by roundoak
Originally Posted by TheKid
The BTU chart is interesting, I didn’t know such existed though I don’t know why it wouldn’t.

I have a fire in the stove beside me as we speak and it’s loaded with black locust. We have a grove on the farm that’s probably 2 acres of telephone pole size trees. They rarely get bigger than that and are odd to cut. They may have one live limb 20’ up that’s big as your wrist, the rest of the tree will be shedding all the bark and dead. Saw it down and it’ll have a live strip about 2” wide on one side going to that limb. The rest of the tree may be dry and hard as a ball bat or turned to styrofoam and worthless. Only way to find out is to cut it up, sometimes half will be rotted and half will be good, or all one way or the other. I like cutting them because there’s very little limbing just cut to length and load it up.

Hmmmmmm, does not sound like the conditions of the Black locust in my neck of the woods. I cut them for fence posts and they last a very long time. Great firewood, too.

How big do your locusts get? Ours rarely get more than 12” at the base but may be 50’ tall. Maybe we have some kind of disease in the grove causing them to go pithy.

We have a couple ancient honey locusts out on the ranch that are probably 30” diameter. Huge 4 and 6 inch thorns growing out of the trunk. I have no idea if they’re good firewood or not, they’re fairly uncommon and I’ve never cut one.

The Black locust size in a grove are about what you stated at the base. The trees that are "open grown" can get twice that size at the base. We have the Honey locust here, too and they are nasty to work up because of the thorns, but they have a high BTU rating for firewood.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime