Originally Posted by tcp
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Yellow is a recessive gene in labs from what I understand, but they're my favorite anyhow. Chocolates have genes even more removed from the original breeding, I believe.
Hell, I don't know. I do love me some labs though.

I've hunted over the gamut of all colors including red and white, and I found no correlation between their color and their personality or hunting ability. Some are absolutely retarded and some are really smart. Most are in between. Their (non-color) genes may be the biggest factor, much like with people.

If any animal is purposely bred for a specific color- by default you are forced to accept whatever other genetic traits may be present in the parents.

Yellow is in fact dominant in that a dog with one copy of the yellow gene will be yellow regardless of its gene for black or brown. Black and brown share the same locus and black is dominant over brown. Thus you can have yellow dogs with either black noses/lips or brown noses/lips. Two brown dogs bred can ONLY have brown puppies. Two black dogs bred could have either black or brown puppies. Yellows bred together may have puppies of all three colors.

All labs are great and most dogs are better than the majority of people.

tcp,
Can't help but agree fully with your last sentence. However re the genetics of coat color I respectfully believe this is a better explanation:

https://www.thelabradorsite.com/labrador-colors/#black-chocolate-Labrador-origins

"Mating Two Yellow Labradors
Two yellow Labradors mated together will never throw brown or black puppies. All their offspring will be yellow.

This is because yellow dogs do not possess the big E gene which is needed to switch off the masking effect."