Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

Silver, Red, etc are breed for color! Black, Yellow, and Chocolate are not forced colors. You agree in your own words with my statement!

Sure, if someone is breeding primarily for color AND is willing to accept negative traits in the parents simply because the breeding will result in offspring of a preferred color, then they are breeding poorly/irresponsibly.

Well, you’re way wrong on most stuff here, but it just appears you’re misinformed and proud of it.

‘Red’ is the original ‘yellow’ Labrador retriever color, and all yellows have differing amounts of differing shades of fur, from almost white, to deep red. Breeding a pair of great hunting yellows, that happen to be on the red end of the spectrum, is in no way ‘forcing color’, as they can be ANY shade and all shades of ‘yellow’. I will say that the lighter, whiter yellow coloring has FAR more to do with forced breeding (among lighter yellow dogs) than the deeper yellows or even reds.....because we’ve had decades of folks wanting ‘white’ or ‘creme’ labs, for cosmetic/show reasons, and pursuing such....while field breeders didn’t push that, it’s proliferated down.

Silver OTOH, is not Labrador color....it’s forced from a particular marker that was INTENTIONALLY turned on, by breeding to something that had it turned on already......which was never a lab, to begin with.

I fully agree in breeding for aptitude and ability, and not show.....but from a yellow owner perspective, it’s always better to breed yellows to yellows or yellows to blacks. Dual recessives (chocolate and yellow) can bring out undesirable aberrations.

From some of your other comments about lab color and breeding, it might be better if field bred labs stayed away from you to begin with.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 02/17/21.