Originally Posted by JD45
I thought I asked this before , but I can't find it.

Does anyone have any tips on painting synthetic stocks with rattle can paint? I have a Kimber Montana and others I'd like to try. Will it stick ok? And do you clear coat it?

Lets see........

Take your garden variety Remington 700 Custom KS, 300 H&H

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Take the barreled action out of the stock.

Next, lightly sand the stock with either a sanding block or wet/dry sand paper, say 80 to 120 grit. Coarse enough to notice.

In this case I got some Flat, Tan , Camo Krylon paint for the base coat and a can of Clear Acrylic spray for the sealer.

What's the old saying, plan your work and work your plan. A couple weeks before i ordered some Krylon webbing spray from Mr. Art Supplies,(as you will not find this at Lowes, Home Depot, etc.) over the "innanet". I got Gold, Black and White. I used only the Gold an Black on this stock.

After roughing up the surface, spray two or three light coats of the Tan Camo spray, allowing sufficient time between coats to dry.

I wanted to see how the webbing spray applied, so i tried a bit on a sheet of white poster board

After a couple experiments I went to work.

IIRC, I sprayed the black on first.

Let it dry then applied the gold webbing spray.

Sometimes less is more.

After the webbing spray dried, I smoothed off the 'tits' with #0000 steel wool, and applied several light coats of clear acrylic spray.

It has served me well over the years!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.