Originally Posted by RL
Will be rough on the guides in the Lower Laguna Madre - really all of them up and down the coast. Last year was tough with Covid but this may send some to the house. Hope I haven't caught my last 30" trout for a while.

I've been fishing the Georgia and SC coast for probably 50 years since I was big enough to hold a rod and reel around age 5, and I have caught probably one that big.....weighed about 5 pounds. That is a while. Dang thing looked weird.....almost like another kind of fish. I caught him bottom fishing with a big mullet attempting to catch a striped bass. Now its a job to find some that make the 14 inch limit. We used to catch big numbers back in the day but they were never big. I've always done better with the reds. Maybe I suck as a fisherman.....strong possibility. But I have a cousin who is a big fisherman that worked with a man from Louisiana who tried our fishing and said compared to home it was horrible. Georgia has a relatively undeveloped system of barrier islands but we don't have the live oyster shells we used to when I was a kid. At some point, something took them out. Don't know if it was weather or pollution or what. Maybe fertilizer run off from the golf courses. And there are SO MANY more people fishing now than then. I like to exaggerate and joke that everyone from Ohio moved down here in the last 20 years. Maybe not everyone but during football season there are as many Ohio State flags on the houses and cars in coastal South Carolina as there are Clemson flags and that is not a joke.

I hope Ya'lls fishing is not hurt too bad. Only thing that compares with good saltwater inshore fishing is hunting deer on a good place.

Last edited by RJY66; 02/19/21.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn