I think that most people realize civil servants will handle all the rules, changes and negotiations. Having Trudeau and Biden meet doesn't really mean much. Regardless of your politics, the day to day business of government continues, regardless of the party or the person elected as PM or president. They were trying to make a "feel good" moment for their respective citizens.

Having said that, it's undeniable that the staffs of the various ministries and US departments have been working hard in the background to create new or updated legislation and regulations. Any changes to existing rules have already been drafted and are awaiting approval.

Civil servants do not have the time to waste for elections to be won. There is too much to do, so drafts are always ready to go to the House of Commons or the US Senate. The CBC analysis of the meeting did not last long. The pundits could not offer their viewers any insights into what will happen because the two leaders didn't say anything. Here's what I learned from CBC after the meeting.

1. COVID is bad.
2. US/CDN trade is good.
3. Those Cdn guys, held in jail by the Chinese, should be let go.
4. Clean energy is good.
5. Photo ops all round!

If this sounds sarcastic, realize that neither man really understands the rules and regulations about trade or clean energy. It's all very complex. Neither man understands COVID, except what is told to them by doctors. Leaders don't sweat the details. They have people to look after all that. The theory is that they keep the ship moving and let the individual experts do their thing.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]