2x my annual income. I’m in my mid 40’s and getting divorced I wanted something close to my 4 year old daughter to lesson the impact on her. I found a home 5 blocks away on the other side of the same subdivision in a town of only a few thousand people so somewhat limited housing options. For me it was about location over anything else it’s an average middle America home in a good neighborhood but to me it’s just a place to store my guns and toys until my daughter is grown and I can retire up North.

It was on the upper end of what I wanted to spend at my age and place in life. I considered mortgage options and decided to go with 30 years due to the very low rates and that it allows me to continue investing 22% of my gross income. I liked the idea of a shorter mortgage and having it paid off by retirement age but felt that given the interest rates now and the market over the past several years that I was better off with a long mortgage and investing as much as possible right now. IDK if that was the right decision or not but that was my reasoning when I did it.

My quality of life is good. I’ve had most of the hunting and fishing toys I want for years. I blow money going out for meals more than I should. Gun collecting is my biggest weakness finance wise but I view that to some degree as a partial investment.