Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
Gee, 25 years ago the 308 WAS the BG cartridge, 400 yrds or not. Ammo for it has only gotten better, and if possible, wider spread. So what has changed with it?

Zero your rifle and go shoot 400 yards..if you can do it, so can the cartridge, and kill stuff.

Not sure where you live, but the 308 has never been “The Big Game Cartridge”anywhere, ever in the US outside a couple states in New England. Perhaps it is in a couple European and African countries and maybe Australia, but certainly not anywhere in the Western US.

But I do love the round and it does everything for me I’ve needed from a BG cartridge.

Yeah, I don't know where he got that info from either. A lot of guys hated the round, where I came from. Being die hard 30-06 and 270w fans, they just scoffed at the little wanna be. At least in the circle of guys I hung out with and just about everyone else I talked to, since I was a little kid. In my highschool days when we hunted deer, a lot of guys used 7RM, 30-06 and 270w. Girls might have used the little 308? I know you love the little 308 Brad, and I have to say in the right rifle, it is pretty sweet. Yes, I have come around to liking it as well.. I'll never give up my 30-06 or trade it in for a 308w. I have buddies that have done such wicked things. Guys that have hunted with the grand ol 30-06 since age 12. Dang traders... Guys want to talk about the legitimate NA big game cartridge, the 30-06 takes that title..
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
400 yards is a chip shot for a 308w. As well as it is for a 270 or ol 06. This is another one of those "rhetorical questions"..

Just a few years ago here on the 'fire 300 yds was considered chip shot by some. My how we have progressed.

But, 300 yds in the field is more than a chip shot. Shooting under field conditions ain't the same as at the range..........

I differentiate between chip shot with respect to the performance of a cartridge and chip shot with respect to my ability to apply same in a given situation.

Throw a damn pack down and use it as a rest. I've shot some of my furthest bucks that way. One at 600 lr yards and the other at 648 yards. If you know how to shoot, 400 yards is indeed a "chip shot". If it's not, that means you either need to practice more, or accept your own abilities and limit your shots to what is reasonable to you. You are the one pulling the trigger and you are the one held accountable for a poor shot...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA