The Liberals will do better if the COVID thing continues into the summer. Like any political party, they will start doling out the cash prior to the election. More relief money for voters and businesses means more votes in the ballot boxes. They are already in damage control mode WRT the vaccine distribution. It will be repeated as summer passes into fall. It will be interesting to watch the campaign ads and the debates.

Gun legislation is always safe ground and an easy vote getter. Most Canadians know this. They have to change the headlines because they haven't been doing so well with the vaccine rollout and some other areas.
---

Recently, the International Monetary Fund (the IMF) gave Trudeau's government a lukewarm performance assessment. The C.D. Howe Institute was more critical. Two things stood out for me.

From the Chronicle Herald.

Fears that the government might use a pre-election budget splurge to induce voters is at the heart of the latest paper by the C.D. Howe Institute’s fiscal and tax working group, released on Wednesday. This collection of economists and former politicians is not constrained by the diplomatic niceties that govern the IMF and was blunt in its assessment.

There is no doubt that money will fly out of the government coffers and into the hands of voters, as I mentioned earlier.

The second para that caught my eye was,

The Liberals may have got a gold star from the IMF for their pandemic response but the C.D. Howe offered a more clear-eyed appraisal of their economic recovery plan. It reminded me of many a childhood report card: “Would improve if there was less talk, more action and co-operated more.”

Chronicle Herald

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]