Very, very sorry to hear, sir. I hate it when I learn of any good dog's passing, but these days it hurts maybe a little more when I see that it's a lab that has passed. We have two, a black and yellow, half sisters. They've brought more joy to my wife than she ever believed possible, and more really than any human has. Me too, truth be told. They're her first ever and learning how to raise them and train them from 7 and 8 week old pups, to then listen to her sing to them when she thinks no one is listening, talk to them, play with them and feed them and stroke them and hug on them, well, it about makes my heart melt.

Every now and then I try to have a few words with her in regards to their mortality and realistic lifespan. What I'm trying to do is gently and slowly prepare her to really understand that they will go, and far too soon. And when they do, it will hurt her heart as much as anything ever has in this life. I've literally told her that when our girls go, pieces of us will die with them. She has playfully said that she's going to have the world's oldest labs. I don't let her get away with that, as it's setting her up. I just want her to be realistic. Anyway, again, I'm sorry for your loss, man. Truly. All of us who've loved and lost our own know your pain all too well. May you cherish your sweet memories together always. He'll live in your heart forever.