RiverRed: Be careful, VERY careful who you "listen" to on this site!
The 204 Ruger cartridge IS a Coyote killing machine!
PERIOD!
I know - I done it - I do it.
DO NOT let ANYONE tell you anything different.
I own and shoot 9 (nine) Varmint Rifles in caliber 204 Ruger and began shooting this wonderous cartridge back in 2,004 when it first came out.
I have kill't all manner of Varmints with my 204's including Coyotes, Fox, Badger, Rock Chucks, Skunks, field lions, Ground Squirrels, Raccoons, Jack Rabbits, a host of flying Varmints and a Wild Turkey so far with mine.
And one of my friends here in SW Montana harvests a batch of Whitetail Does each year with his 204 Ruger!
The 204 Ruger in my opinion and based on my extensive experience with it - is the top "All Around" Varmint/predator cartridge there is.
And by "all around" I mean ALL AROUND for predators (especially for night calling) and Varmints which includes everything from various Colony Varmints to running Jack Rabbits (remember sped kills and makes hits easier on running game).
Slow to heat a barrel, easy on throats, virtually no recoil, flat trajectory, extremely efficient with small powder charges, astounding accuracy, amazing lethality on Varmints, predators and small game and easy on pelts are just a few of its many attributes!
I will HIGHLY recommend to you (as I have to more than a dozen other interested newbies to date!) that you buy and try a Varmint Rifle in 204 Ruger.
Best of luck if decide to try the amazing 204 Ruger.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy