I know the company in question apparently told the OP that it isn’t necessary to pull the barrel. Maybe they changed their process in some way in the last 4 years since I’ve had anything nitrided but I will say that I believe it’s a good idea to do so. I have sent hundreds of guns out to H&M and another processor to be treated and have seen bad things happen occasionally from leaving the barrel on.
On a handful of occasions I witnessed a Remington recoil lug crack. On one occasion each I saw a Wby Vanguard and a MKV crack the front receiver ring. The processor’s explanation was the heat of the process and the difference in mass and alloys resulted in different expansion ratios for the barrel shank and the receiver causing the crack. Also like Butch mentioned it is difficult to get the salts out of the threads and they will “creep” white crustaceans out until all the salts are removed. It is much easier to get it out with the barrel off.

Also extremely small parts may be prone to embrittlement and failure. Things like #6 screws, extractors, and ejector buttons with a cutout for a retaining pin. Nothing made of spring steel should be processed, they become extremely brittle and break like glass. I’ve seen magazine springs inadvertently sent and they snap into multiple pieces the first time they’re compressed. Magazine boxes could also be problematic seeming to warp or spring at times and give feeding trouble on occasion. Remington 700 extractors should be replaced, they will break or at least lose tension.

All that is not to imply that I don’t like the process, I think it’s the best finish on the market but it does have limits. Just wanted to offer a counterpoint from my experiences.

Last edited by TheKid; 03/03/21.