One thing that *should* drive down the price of polymer frame handguns is the technology that's appeared since their introduction 40 or so years ago. The high speed, high precision CNC machining centers of today can produce injection molds that are ready to go right out of the machine. Manufacturers are catching on to the fact that there's money to be made by producing and selling high quality polymer framed auto pistols for $300.

I'd bet that the price of manufacturing one is under $100.

As I've mentioned on here, I recently bought a Ruger Security 9 new for $300. It's obvious that it was designed to directly compete with the Glock 19.,..which sells for considerably more. Other manufacturers have came out with quality, low price polymer frame 9mms that closely mimic the size, shape, and weight of the Glock 19.

Taurus introduced a model that was selling in the $200 range before the gun shortage pushed its price up a bit.

I know a lot of people look down their nose at Taurus products. But they've sold a trainload of them and it's hard to find a bad review of them.

Basically, they're a fairly simple thing to produce. Once a manufacturer gets tooled up to produce them they can crank them out like shelling peas.

They're a huge moneymaker,..and the manufacturers who are still selling them in the $500-$600 range are making a killing on them.

But that price range isn't going to last.